Five years ago today, I was the most excited and scared, that I had ever been in my life. I was going to have my first son, Mason. I checked into Harris Methodist Hospital (Ft. Worth) the night before, so that I could be induced first thing in the morning on October 2, 2003. It had been a long, long pregnancy. I didn't even know I was having a boy until my doctor finally did an ultrasound at 36 weeks. I found out we were having a boy. We also found out there was something wrong with his kidney. A couple of days later, we were sent to Ft. Worth to see a specialist. We were informed that there was only ONE kidney and that it had too much fluid on it. He had reflux. The doctor forewarned us about kidney failure, dialysis, and transplants. I was heartbroken. We decided to have our little boy at Harris so that he'd be close to Cook's Children's Hospital if there were any problems. They also decided to go ahead and induce at 38 weeks. So at 7 am that morning, off we were. And I mean, full speed! The doctor started my pitocin drip at the highest level, so within an hour I was having full hard contractions. (Aunt Molly was ready to kill my doctor for me! lol) My mom, Mike, Molly, Kathy, Dale, Daneil, and Uncle Sandy were all standing by and waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Didn't seem like he was ever going to get here! We had our funny moments. Like when I got some drugs and was amazed by the sight of my own hand. And we had our scary moments. Like when I had a reaction to the epidural and I looked like I was having a seizure. But finally at 11pm, they decided to do a c-section to get my little man out. I remember practically sleeping through it, but the next thing I knew, I was hearing him cry. I got to see him for a second, then they took him off to the NICU. I don't remember how much later before I got to see him again and hold him, but I remember how beautiful he was. And how loud and healthy he was. He was the biggest baby in the NICU! We really knew how blessed we were after seeing all the other babies in there, and knowing our son was healthy and thriving. After 5 days in the NICU and multiple tests, our son was fine and able to go home. Actually we demanded to go home! Mason was the first baby to ever be released from that hospital after midnight. It was so funny when the nurses were walking me down to go home. Security all of the sudden comes running at us, screaming, "STOP! STOP! STOP WITH THAT BABY!" They thought someone was trying to kidnap a baby! So after several explanations and proof that he was mine, we got to take him home. We didn't make it back to Scotland until almost 3 am. But we didn't care, we were home with our little boy.
And now he's five years old. My, how time flies! I'm reminded daily what a blessing he is, and a handful, haha! But he is the love of my life and I can't imagine my life without him. Every night I pray for all the best that GOD has to offer for my son.
GOD bless my little man. Momma loves you, Mason! Happy Birthday!
(I created a slide show to put in his baby book to always have. It's about 15 minutes long. Pretty short considering it sums up five years!)
Park City Utah
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment